Do you want to start a blog? Read on! By FAR the most asked question – “How do I start a blog?”. I strongly believe that sharing your skills/knowledge is so important, I don’t look at it as creating competition; more like expanding the family!
Remember, these are my opinions and by no means am I saying that this is the only way to do things. Let’s jump into it:
How to start a blog:
- Find your niche and create a name that represents that topic. No ambiguity in your blog name. My blog was originally called My Journey My Rules because of my tattoo, but it didn’t clearly communicate that it was a travel blog. Make sure it is a SHORT name, none of this filling the URL bar kinda nonsense.
- Register your domain name. I use GoDaddy, but you can use whichever site you like, just make sure they’re legit and you get what you pay for. For those of you that don’t know, a domain is the URL address you type into the top bar of your browser; EG – www.travelwithlamb.com. If you go with some free sites, they give you an address like wordpress.travelwithlamb.com – but that doesn’t look too great and if you’re serious about building your own website, definitely invest in a domain. Have a look at the prices of registering a domain and determine if you’re willing to make the investment.
- Sign-up for a free site, like WordPress, and educate yourself. Watch their tutorial videos and play around with the back-end of your website. You can use the free themes (what you see on the front-end, the ‘pretty part’) or you can purchase them starting from around $10. I would definitely start by using a free theme and then move across when you have a bit more traffic and content.
- Write at least 5 blog posts before you post. Don’t have one post sitting on your blog, try get at least 5 (I would personally go with 10) pieces of content on your blog before you start marketing and sharing it. If your reader likes what they read on one article, they need to be able to read more of your stuff to become a follower.
- Educate yourself on Social Media and decide how you are going to market your blog. Initially, you’ll be sharing your blog with friends and family, but if you are going to make any decent money – you need a large following.
Future bloggers, I am going to be expanding on this over the next few weeks and go into the Marketing of your Blog, Social Media Tips, How to Write a Great Post and more! Follow me on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter to stay up to date on all my blog-related articles.
Good luck, and please post any questions in the comments below.