I can see your eyes rolling from here. 2016 has not been an easy year for most and I’ve seen a ton of people wishing for it to end on Social Media. I’ll be brief, but it’s been a year of many experiences, good and bad. Ten countries and many airports later, I’m back home with Lorde Archibald (my cat) wearing a smug smile like the Cheshire Cat. Me, not Archibald. Although he’s recently scoffed half his weight in tuna so he is acting like a smug bastard. I’ve decided to use snaps from my phone, as it’s a true depiction of what goes on behind the scenes of my life and what my friends have the unfortunate fate of seeing on an almost daily basis. I’ve never looked back at a time I hated with regret because I wouldn’t be me without them and I’m pretty happy with the person I’m trying to create.
What I’ve learned from 2016:
- It’s OK to be scared, but then you need to get over it.
- It’s OK to try without succeeding.
- It’s OK to admit defeat and quit your life. That moment when you’re on a train heading to a particular destination and you realize the destination and the company aren’t ever going to happen.
- It’s OK to be patient even when it’s against your better judgment. One day we all realize that good things come to those who deserve it.
- It’s OK to be bold and piss off a bunch of people.
- It’s OK to shout your cause from the top of a mountain even if nobody is listening.
- It’s OK to be wrong in all the right ways.
- It’s OK to look confident even when you have no fucking idea what you doing.
- It’s OK to be an awkward oddball because it’s you and you’re beautiful.
- It’s OK to want to be alone.
- It’s OK to love someone deeply from the comfort of your own home.
- It’s OK to want it all and not settle for anything else.
- It’s OK to cry for those you’ve had to cut loose without wanting their company.
- It’s OK to be selective about the people you let into your personal circle.
- It’s OK to create the life you want to live based on your own design.
- It’s OK to love every inch of yourself.
Namaste: “The Divine light in me acknowledges the Divine light in you.”
My lesson from 2016? Through the chaos, when I actually took a second, I realized I was OK.
I love you.