Feeling like your current career just doesn’t feed your soul? Feel like changing careers? Well… you are in the vast (and I mean vast) majority of the working class population. I’ve never understood the need to stay in a job I don’t like and before you start letting me have it in the comments section below; I know I don’t have a family to provide for. I don’t have a home loan to pay off and a useless husband/wife that doesn’t pull his or her weight. To those that have to provide for others, I applaud you and have the deepest respect for ya’ll – but ya’ll need to click away cause this post ain’t for you.
I’m talking to the complaining group that hate what they do and actually have the capacity to do something about it.
Firstly, how fucking lucky are we? Especially us women. Let’s take it back 50 years and think about what our lives would’ve been like. On the hunt for a husband from the time we graduate High School. Our creativity limited to sewing pillowcases and cooking for our families. If this is your idea of heaven, again, this post is not for you and you can click away. I respect you more than you know and I salute you for creating a wonderful home for your families.
We’re lucky because we can design the future we crave. We’re the Captain of our own ships, boys and girls. However, with this freedom come limitations and fears because the competitive nature of careers was set alight with the introduction of Social Media. To you, everyone is doing well and you feel inadequate and you couldn’t possibly be as successful if you were to change things up. It’s hard, but those fears need to vanish before you will be taking any kind of leap – let’s be honest.
Here are my tips for changing careers:
- Stop watching everyone else. They don’t fucking care about you and your success or failures. Yeah, they could comment on your failures because they themselves are jealous as hell that you took the plunge more than you actually failing. They will probably also drop passive aggressive comments when you do well because again, they’re jealous as hell. Can you guess what I’m getting at? They’re going to be dicks either way and they shouldn’t sway your decision. Your true mates will be supportive whether you become the next Elon Musk or er, Trump. PS – Please don’t become fucking Trump.
- Learn to budget and budget well. I understand the excitement coursing through you and you just want to shove your resignation letter into your useless bosses face as early as yesterday. Sorry, guys – it really doesn’t work that way. You have to work – HARD. When I decided I wanted to get into the digital field, I was not only teaching English in Thailand and studying my BCom full time, I invested in an additional 6-month online journalism course. This may seem like absolute madness to some, but what you don’t know is the countless additional hours I spent learning how to run a website, educating myself on online trends and picking up the basics in photography and graphic design. It’s not easy, but it’s doable. I am nothing special and if I can do it – so can you! So, stick with your current job and slowly start investing in courses and picking up other streams of passive income that you PUT AWAY for a future venture or further education.
- Dedicate time to your new career. Much like what I was rambling about above, schedule time in your weekly routine to learn more about your chosen path. I’m currently obsessed with nutrition since becoming vegetarian and I want to know more – Friday and Sunday evenings now have a 60-minute slot dedicated to researching more about nutritional courses and educating myself on bettering my daily intake with smarter diet choices. Do you want to blog? Great. Your week now needs to include these considerations:
- Should I go with WordPress or Blogspot? Must research.
- Domain and hosting packages – research.
- The best value for money cameras – research.
- What types of content can I create? Video, photos or articles? Must research.
- Give yourself a timeline and set a due date. This fucking works. I told myself that by the time I leave for South Korea I would do my Yoga Teacher Training course and learn how to edit videos. Both are happening because… I told myself I had to! Why would you let yourself down? You’re literally only screwing over yourself. The world does that enough… why not give yourself a break from that shit?
So what have we learnt? To escape from our current careers and enter into a shinier one you will need to:
Dedicate your time
Dedicate your money
…and that’s it.
It’s doable and it’s happening more and more – because we CAN. Celebrate your freedom by designing a future that you love. That YOU WANT. No one else is gonna care if you never try – it will only haunt you.
Have you got any stories you’d like to share similar to the above? Let me know in the comments below 🙂 I LOVE hearing from you!